When starting out and running a small sign making business, many wonder if they have what it takes to succeed. Just what exactly makes small business owners successful?
Thanks thanks to a recent study done by Guardian Life Small Business Research Institute, we have the answers.
The study, named The Guardian Life Index: What Matters Most to America’s Small Business Owners, surveyed over 1000 entrepreneurs on their experiences managing anywhere from 2 to 99 workers. Sixty factors vital to the success of the business were first identified. From there, they were trimmed down to six skills that the most successful business owners had in common. They are as follows:
- Collaborative. Successful business owners aren’t just in it for themselves. They form relationships with their clients, employees, vendors, and partners with the goal of both parties benefiting.
- Future-focused. Entrepreneurs who succeed are planners, constantly looking ahead anticipating the next moves they will make.
- Action oriented. Successful small business owners make it work because they are driven. They don’t just plan, they act! They are motivated to push their business and themselves further, and generally keep a positive attitude about hard work and growth.
- Curious. If you don’t want to learn, and keep learning, you probably won’t make a good business owner. Methods for running businesses are constantly changing; business owners who keep themselves in the loop are better equipped to develop their business.
- Tech-savvy. Curiosity isn’t limited to just methodology; using the newest technology to advance your business, and keeping up a quality web-site are hallmarks of the most successful entrepreneurs.
- Self-fulfilled. At the end of the day, a great business owner is satisfied with his hard work, and receives fulfillment from running his own business.
Of course, there are a whole host of traits that make business owners successful, aside from the ones mentioned above. What qualities do you think are most important for small business owners to possess in order to be successful? Let us know in the comments section below.