Finding time to update your sign shop’s website content is probably not the first thing on your to-do list, and that is understandable. It should, however, at least be on your to-do list. Why? Google looks kindly on websites with new, relevant content, which in turn can boost your site’s ranking in search engines, getting your customers one step closer to you.
How does it all work? When your site has keyword-rich, useful content, search engine “spiders,” which are the algorithms search engines use to index sites and decide on ratings, take notice. They favor the sites that have these keywords, and move them up on the search engine’s ranking. For example, as a sign shop you do well to have a static site that explains all about your business and at the same time maintain a blog that shows examples of your work, talks about the products you use, and discusses other topics that people looking for your services might search for.
The truth of the matter is you can keep your website content fresh by following a few simple strategies designed to save you time. Here are 5 things you can start doing today to make your website content relevant and attractive to searchers:
- Think beyond the written word. Content doesn’t have to just be in the form of articles. Consider posting videos of the sign making process, photos of finished products, or basic how-to tutorials for your customers. This kind of content is valuable because it adds variety to your website.
- Break down big ideas. If you have an idea for a long post, consider breaking it down into two or more parts. Smaller articles are easier to write and easier to digest. Search engines also prefer to see many articles rather than just one large one.
- Speed things up. Dictate to a voice-software such as Dragon Naturally Speaking that will interpret your words and type them faster than you could yourself.
- Make an idea list. Take 15 minutes and come up with as many article ideas as you can think of for your website. That way, when it is time to sit down and write an article, or have someone else write one for you, you won’t be stuck with nothing to write about. Make sure and re-brainstorm after a few weeks to keep adding fresh ideas to your list.
- Practice makes perfect. Although you may not have a ton of time to devote to writing articles for your sign business, doing so on a regular basis will make the entire process easier. The more you write, the better and faster you get at it, so at least make enough time to write regularly enough that you are improving in your technique.
Put these tips into practice to get fresh content up on your site regularly. Doing so will get you more traffic, and in turn more customers, for your sign business.