The written word can be a scary thing, especially if you are out of practice or lack confidence in your writing ability. Getting your sign business an online presence requires that you develop some copy writing or blogging skills. Use the following tips to improve the quality of your writing today.
- Keep it clear. Your copy should be concise and easy-to-read. The longer you write, the less likely you are to hold the reader’s attention. Write short, lean, sentences and you’ll avoiding wasting words explaining what you really mean.
- It’s as easy as 1-2-3. Three is the magic number when it comes to writing content that will be remembered. Use 3 bullet points, 3 tips, 3 strategies. By doing so you will capture the reader’s interest and make the information easier to be retained.
- Keep it short. Readers tend to read long lines of text faster than shorter lines, so to help them take their time and absorb what they are reading, cut down the size of your message. This may mean shortening sentences, or reducing the actual width of your page. Keep your lines to about 45 characters per line for optimal reader comfort.
- Tone it down, or up. It is easy to forget that readers may not pick up on your tone as easily as you would hope. Provide lots of cue words to set the feel of a post. Are you being sarcastic? Exasperated? Playful? The written word can be a highly dangerous weapon when the tone is misread.
- Just break up already! Don’t drone on with long-winded paragraphs. Cut up the bulk of your content with subheadings and bullet points. Keep paragraphs to about 3 sentences and use a font size that doesn’t require squinting.
- Stick to the point. The more you write, the more you wander. Try making an outline: pick the main point, and then create three sub-points that support it. Connect each sub-point back to the main point, the message of the article.
Please share any tips you’ve found helpful for developing content for your web site, blog, or newsletter in the comments section below.